Sunday, January 11, 2015

Memories

Do you ever just sit back and let memories flow through your mind? Tonight has been one of those nights for me. The kids are down for the night and it's quiet. I sat down thinking about my grandparents.

I am blessed. I had my grandparents in my life until recently. I don't know of many people who can say they are in their forties and still had their grandparents and they still lived on the farm. As a matter of fact I still have one grandmother, who lives in her home, and drives when she can.

I am the oldest of five grandchildren, maternal side. I spent most of the first few years of my life with grandparents because both of my parents worked. Grandma and Grandpa babysat my brother and me from birth until I was about ten.

Our mornings started with my parents dropping us off, but before dad could leave, he would have to take Sparky, the calf back down the driveway and tie him back up to the tree. Almost every morning he would be at the house waiting for us and somehow he got his rope untied. We would go in and it was ritual to have cheerios, half a banana, and orange juice. That was the same breakfast for them until the day they died.

Lunch in the spring and summer was usually spent in the field. When it was time for lunch 11:00 am on the dot, we would take bologna sandwiches, water, and chips to the field to eat.  On my grandpa's desk was a CB, and grandma would call him on the CB to let him know we were coming.

Mondays was sale barn day. For me that was the most exciting day because that meant a cheeseburger. The sale barn had the best cheeseburgers! Typing this I can almost smell it and taste it.

In the winter, that was spent monitoring the cows having calves. I have wonderful memories of my grandpa bringing in a newborn calf and placing it in the basement so they wouldn't freeze to death. I would sit down there with old bedspreads, towels, and a hair dryer. I would wipe them down and get them dry so they could go back to their mother.

When it came time to move cattle, I always thought I was a big kid. Grandpa would hand me a whip and tell me to hit on the ground as they cows walked past. I'm sure what I was doing didn't help him, but in my mind I was doing important work.

This is just a short version of the great memories I have. Next week, onto their dancing and grandma's dancing shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment